Not only do humans go through their own life cycle, but we also go through phases. While studying life cycles, I was reminded that I was about to end one phase of my life. This was my last week of student teaching, which means that very soon I will be ending this portion of my life (the college phase), and I will soon be entering into another phase of my life, and I am beyond excited -- nervous but excited!
Thank you, Mrs. Craft, for all that you have done. I could not have asked for a better mentoring teacher! I have learned SO much, and I will always be grateful for the experiences I had while student teaching at Longleaf!
Now, on to life cycles!
Frog Life Cycle
Frog Life Cycle by Justin McCory Martin
"A frog begins its life inside an egg. Female frogs lay eggs in the water. The eggs hatch and out swim tiny tadpoles! When the tadpole is about seven weeks old, it grows little back legs. At 10 weeks old it grows front legs. About four months after hatching, the froglet is finally a grownup frog!"
Butterfly Life Cycle by Jeff Bauer
Butterflies are insects. They have six legs just like ants, grasshoppers, and ladybugs. Butterflies have four wings. Butterflies come in all different colors. Some have spots. Some have stripes. Some seem like they have painted wings. But butterflies do not begin their lives looking this way. A female monarch lays an egg on a leaf. After a few days, the egg hatches and out comes a caterpillar. After about two weeks, the caterpillar takes a rest. It attaches to a twig or leaf and hangs upside down. The caterpillar becomes a chrysalis. The chrysalis becomes clear and the caterpillar turns into a butterfly!
The Chick Life Cycle
Chick Life Cycle by Elizabeth Bennett
A baby chicken is called a chick. An adult female chicken is called a hen and an adult male chicken is called a rooster. Both hens and roosters have red combs and wattles. Most hens lay one or two eggs a day. It takes 3 weeks for the egg to develop into a chick. A hen sits on her eggs until it is time for them to hatch. The chick pecks small holes around the egg so it can get out. In a few weeks, the chick sprouts feathers and a tiny red comb and a wattle. Soon it will be all grown-up.
* This is the day we had a visit from the artist, Kay Thomas! We talked about the chick life cycle, but we also got to be artists and create our own butterfly masterpieces.
The Sunflower Life Cycle
Sunflower Life Cycle by Jeff Bauer
Sunflowers are plants. Plants grow all over the world. Plants are living things. But they do not move around like animals. They stay in one place and grow. They all begin as tiny seeds! Sunflower seeds get planted in the spring. Rain wets the ground, which helps the plant grow into a baby sunflower with roots, a stem, and green leaves. The plants will soon grow a big bud at the top of its stem. One by one, the petals open. Soon the sunflower will be in full bloom. A few days later, the sunflower begins to make a sugary liquid called nectar. They also make a sticky dust called pollen. When bees fly from flower to flower, they spread the dust around. In the fall, sunflowers shrivel up and start to die. They drop their seeds, which slide into the ground. Then in the spring the flowers start to grow again.
Plant Life Cycle
The Tiny Seed by Eric Carle
"It grows on and on. It doesn't stop. The sun shines on it and the rain waters it. It has many leaves. It grows taller and taller... All summer long the birds and bees and butterflies come visiting. They have never seen such a big and beautiful flower."
We talked about what plants are, have, and need!
Spotted: Brennon being inspired by Eric Carle
Spotted: Hayden being inspired by Eric Carle
Spotted: Lauralyn being inspired by Eric Carle
I am very thankful for the experiences I have had at Longleaf and with Craft's Critters. Thanks for having me and allowing me to expand my knowledge! I sure am going to miss these kiddos! :)



























No comments:
Post a Comment